Tuesday 16 December 2014

Kool Dyeing

I hated chemistry when I was at school, the only bit I enjoyed was the experiments with the test-tubes and Bunsen burners.  I think I still like that part of it as I've been dyeing again!

It is extremely addictive and fascinating.  I love seeing what different shades I can create - I guess that's the artist in me.  I love colour and to create it is magical!

Today I wanted to create Christmassy reds and greens as I've been making little stockings for Christmas decorations.



 
These are from the pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jennifers-mini-sock-recipe by Jennifer Tocker.  They are tiny - to give you an idea of size - here's one I made for a swap against a 5pence ...
 
 
Aren't they diddy?!
 
 
by Julie from Little Cotton Rabbits http://littlecottonrabbits.typepad.co.uk/. This pattern is lovely as it can incorporate intarsia - and boy does that open creativity!
 
 
Two so far, and one more on the way ....
 
 
The yarn I've been using is from http://www.theknittinggoddess.co.uk/.  I belong to a mini-skein club where I am sent seven mini-skeins a month.  They are all lusciously dyed in gorgeous colours and the yarn is to die for - it is beautiful to use.  I have been using the mini-skeins in two projects so far - http://tinyowlknits.wordpress.com/the-beekeepers-quilt/ which is like this - although this one isn't mine - mine is still in little hexis (I'll show you them another day!)
 

 
If you fancy having a go at this pattern you can buy it here ...
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/78846028/the-beekeepers-quilt-knitting-pattern.  However it should come with a huge warning - saying VERY ADDICTIVE!
 
The other pattern I am using the mini-skeins for is http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sock-yarn-blanket  - again this is not my blanket - this is to show you what I mean - again mine are all in squares at the moment and will be completely different as I am using the ends of the mini-skeins that are too short to make a hexi out of .  One day I'll show you them too - hopefully finished!
 
 
Anyway, I decided that I needed some more Christmassy shades and thought I could dye my own.  I have also bought some undyed mini-skeins from The Knitting Goddess.  I dye them using Kool Aid - a drink sachet from the USA.  It is absolutely fantastic at dyeing!  The yarn just soaks up the colour and it is such fun to create different effects and shades. 
 

 
I used Cherry and Strawberry for the reds and for the greens I used Apple, and also Lemon and Lime, one of them I added some Blue Raspberry to give a darker green (more the shade I associate with Christmas) and then I tried out some Ghoul Aid which is blackberry and comes out almost black.  I mixed some of that with one the green mixes too to give a more fir tree green.  And as a by product I made some almost teal like shade dip dyed effect and then two pale one using the very last of the Kool Aid green shades (I don't like to waste a thing!)
 
I can't stress how much fun I had!  Oh and you should smell the kitchen - it definitely got a fruity smell in there!
 
So - job done - wait for them to dry and then I can knit up some more stockings!
 
*   *   *

2 comments: