They are made from air-drying clay, cut out with cookie cutters - I had to use hearts and stars as I just love them! I then used rubber letter stamps to make words on them. Finally I stuck a darning needle through them at the top to make the hole for threading.
When they were dry - which didn't take that long - I painted them with white acrylic paint all over. The final coat was varnish with a tiny blob of blue acrylic paint that I didn't mix in properly as I wanted to achieve the streaky look.
I was really pleased with them and they did look lovely on my mini blue tree we had up in the dining room window.